One of my favorite Albanian words: stuff! Although here people are more likely to say “sena” which is perhaps a dialect version of gjëra’s synonym,”sende”. Shrug. In any case this is my messy bedside table, including:
- one camera
- one New Headway Elementary student book
- one New Headway Elementary workbook
- a sheet of star stickers
- a copy of the Happy Prince and other stories by Oscar Wilde, in Albanian
- a stone box with an engraving of a flower in the lid, bought in SaPa
- a pear and a knife
- my watch
- the business cards of a local Serbian taxi driver and two local wine producers
- my Albanian phrasebook they gave us upon arrival
- doily (not mine, it came with the table)
- an original drawing by my brother Justin who gave it to me for Christmas a couple years ago. It’s now on its second country as it came with me to Vietnam as well. Today is his birthday so I wanted to include something that reminds me of him every time I look at it. The year he gave it to me, he brought a whole backseat’s worth of his artwork to my parents’ apartment where we were celebrating and let us all pick out a piece. I chose this one because it reminded me of an iceberg and of sledding together when we were kids.
Happy birthday J!